Labeling Partitions

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Dec 6 02:34:58 EST 2002

When you install a newer distribution (redhat 8.0), the fstab doesn't have
partition info in it it looks like:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2

I was wondering where the correlation between LABEL=/ and /dev/sda1 is?

Justin