Job Available: PHP/MySQL Developer NEEDED!

WAYNE MELBROD wmelbrod at mandtbank.com
Wed Aug 7 13:36:45 EDT 2002

Joe,

Your insinuation that anyone who is a member of this Linux list server is unqualified for your job is insulting.  PHP & MYSQL?  You have got to be kidding.

"Developing" today in high level languages such as Visual Basic, SQL based, Power Builder,  ASP, etc. is relatively easy.  All of the heavy lifting algorithms have been coded as objects called components and you simply drag and drop them in or call them in from simple routines.   Then you wrap them in a little of your own code to initialize them at the right moment or just customize their activity. This is the point of these languages.  To hide the difficult stuff so non-technical / math challenged individuals can create something useful without the expense of hiring professionals.

Most of the labor with these languages revolves around learning (memorizing) the proprietary commands and, once an application is written, trying to keep it stable in a multiuser, multipurpose LAN environment.

The users of these languages are referred to as 'Component Assemblers', not programmers but you will never convince them of that. Today everyone refers to themselves as a developer and the word has lost it's meaning. An example of a 'developer' is the person(s) who wrote MYSQL,  not the people who use it.  The food chain is as follows:   Developer  >  Programmer > Component Assembler > Script Kiddie > User

Working with the graphics design team?  You take their pictures and drop them in the spot they want them in.  Then you might have to animate them (if it isn't already prepackaged - see above) or have them perform (flash, appear, disappear, rotate, etc) when some activity occurs.   Children are developing sophisticated web sites today which includes my very bright 14 year old nephew.

The point is ............. the  job ain't all that.  If you think the people who subscribe to this server are unqualified, how did you come to the conclusion they would still be able to recognize someone who is?

Why don't you advertise this great job 'opportunity' on the list server that the qualified people subscribe to and leave us poor Linux boobs alone?
You are right.   You need to go back to school.

Sincerely,
Wayne Melbrod
Unqualified Programmer/Analyst
Central Technology Division
Integrated Deposit Systems Department
M&T Bank

>>> jbielli at netsos.com 08/07/02 11:09AM >>>
Hello Folks,

I'm going to be leaving Computer SOS to move on to greener pastures and get my schooling finished, Friday is my last day.
I will, however, continue to maintain and administer our linux servers, although remotely (no linux-only gurus need apply, there is no position available).

I have given myself the daunting task of finding myself a replacement in the web development field..
Qualified candidates MUST know PHP/MYSQL, be ready and willing to share code samples, linux skills are a plus, however the job is mostly application development / web design.
Candidates also must be comfortable coding large applications, picking up others work where they left off (mine ?), meeting with the rest of the web team, and working closely with graphic designers.

Salary is decent, and this is a nice atmosphere to work in. If you KNOW someone who may be interested, have them get in contact with me ASAP via email or by voice.
Decision will be made by Friday.

Please email resume's to jbielli at netsos.com   ..Thanks!
Voice calls, ask for Joe @ 635-0086

Note: this does not change the nflug meetings, I will still be here to host them at our office on third Sundays (except August, of course)..

Joe Bielli
Software Development
Computer SOS, Inc.
1505 Cleveland Drive