where is the new meeting place?

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 15 12:04:49 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory J. Neumann" <gjn at certainlywood.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 10:27 AM
Subject: Was: where is the new meeting place?

> Hi, Ron!
>
> Linux has been a true 32-bit O/S since 1991 and It works just fine on
386's, but
> not (w/o special tweaking, if even then) a 286 or below..  ISA is a 16 bit
data
> bus, not CPU bus.  True 32 bit refers to the processor internals, not the
external
> busses.  XP works fine w/ the dual Pentium Pro board I have, even though I
have an
> ISA slot and the built in sound is also an ISA.  Sound works fine when I
bother to
> plug in the speakers.  All these buses running around inside these
computers!
> You'd think we'd need a bus schedule!! ;-)  Too easy to get it all
confused!

> -Greg

Hi Greg.

Thanks I already knew that about Linux, but the topic was about XP's
compliancy issues. I just did not know for sure weather XP was legacy board
compliant. Well then I'm totally wrong then to make the statement that XP is
not 16bit hardware compliant. Hmm, that I know is not a first for me. I
guess thats how we all learn...right? MS has been warning us that 16 bit is
on its way out, and I have not had the money or time (or read every thing
about the OS's) to play around with XP or 2000 myself to see if I can use it
with what equipment I already have. Well I do have my AMD box, but I would
need to get another HDD to do a dual boot. It has Mandrake 8.1 on it
already. Hmm...thats a thought!
Well see ya at the next meeting:)

Ron

> > On Friday 12 April 2002 17:49, you wrote:
> > > Hey, yeah I tried Grub, doesn't recognize Windows XP either
> > >

><-------------------------------snip------------------------------------->
> >
> > Well if grub won't work either, and you checked the settings in grub.
> > Hmm...I'm sure there is a way to do it but I've not tried it yet to see
> > what's the way around that. I have not bought a new box for an XP
> > installation. My systems have ISA slots and XP does not use 16bit
hardware
> > since its a true 32bit system. They say you can run it on a board with
ISA
> > slots (I'm not to sure that this is true it sounds to me more like
bulls@&t),
> > but from what I've heard it will run, but crippled? Well Windows 2000 is
in
> > the same venue so, I myself would not waste the time trying to get it to
run
> > on a board with ISA slots anyway. I have XP and Office XP but have no
system
> > presently to install it on right now. Seams to me like a real poser.
Well