where is the new meeting place?

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Sat Apr 13 00:45:53 EDT 2002

I agree with some of what you are saying, but I have done dual boot for a
LONG time, mostly as I couldn't always afford the additional drives.  I
started with a 1.6GB hard drive running a compressed 1GB for Windows and
.6GB for Linux.  Worked fine, but I did find out a VERY valuable lesson
real early, Linux CANNOT read Windows compressed drives, I mounted it all
up.. couldn't ready anything, so being a newbie I figured that I 'messed'
something up.. so I rm -f 'd the mount point.. this is when I noticed the
true power of Linux.. Linux can make Windows go away with one command,
while Windows (even with lawyer's :-o ) can't make Linux go away LOL

(Yes a full Windows install was soon to follow, thank GOD I learned the
value of boot disks before this issue, or it would have required a new
install of Linux also.. which at the time, I did completely in parts off of
the internet, Debian distro, in parts downloaded to Zip disk.  Took me 2
weeks to get a working Xterm LOL.. but a boot disk saved my 'bacon' I
booted Linux with the boot disk, reran lilo, as Windows overwrote the mbr,
and I was in back in business.)

But I would still say that cleaning up some space on a Windows only hard
drive for a Linux install is not overly difficult now with the tools
available (ie partition magic, fips)

Chaz®