gnome stuff

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 14:49:43 EDT 2002

Give the machine a name that is not a network name and put the name in
/etc/hosts with the IP address 127.0.0.1.  Anything that tries to connect to
the output of the 'hostname' command will work correctly.  The file that you
want to change on Mandrake is '/etc/sysconfig/network' and you want to change
the 'HOSTNAME' parameter.

Cheers!

Bob Meyer

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> OK, does anyone know how/why/how to stop a gnome desktop when starting
> up NOT to give me a warning message about (not being able to find an
> internet address for "hostname", This will prevent GNOME from operating
> correctly). This system only has a dial-up connection and I would like
> NOT to have this message show up on boot. I have shut off services that
> would require internet/network connections, etc. but no luck. Any one
> else experience this before or know how to stop it? It doesn't happen in
> KDE but I really like the themes that come with Gnome on Mandrake 8.2.

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.
36 Cayuga Blvd