LDAP (Sorry for the double post)

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.com
Thu Apr 4 14:40:55 EST 2002

Here my experience with openLDAP:

One day I got ambitious, and decided that since my company no longer used
exchange as its central information database, I'd set up an LDAP server.  I
don't quite know what demonic forces took posession of my mind to do this at
that time, but into the fray I stepped.

I was fairly confident that it couldn't have been too bad as I was working as
a database administrator and system administrator so I had a fair knowledge
of what went into the technology.  I was sorely mistaken.

OpenLDAP as all LDAP servers are quite a different beast from most things I
had encountered.  There was a very rigid schema needing to be followed as
well as a steep learning curve.  It was very intimidating at first.

Within a day, I did have a working directory, but it was not what I would
even remotely consider production quality.  It worked nice for what it was
meant to do and integrated fine with Outlook and Outlook Express for
corporate directory lookups.

In hindsight I can say that I am a better man for having done the experiment.
 I would, however, recommend that anyone looking seriously into an LDAP
directory absorb as much as possible on its workings and setup prior to
implementing one.

I'll also take a second to apologize to Bob Meyer, cause if he hasn't found
this Franken-LDAP creation I referenced yet, he will and then it'll be his
mess.  :-)

brad