LDAP (Sorry for the double post)

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 10:48:04 EST 2002

--- "Wechter, Ron" <WechterR at cnrc.navy.mil> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with LDAP.  I have a few questions:
>
> 1.	How much bandwidth does it take up (Is it very slow ex. Like
> Exchange over a modem)?

Depends on what you're doing.  If you are doing a search with lots of results,
it will be slower than one result.  It's actually pretty quick.

> 2.	Does the client keep a constant connection to the LDAP server or are
> the queries quick and responsive?

Works sort of like http.  You connect, make a request and disconnect.  I told
apache on a Linux box to use LDAP on A Windows Server to authenticate and only
allow users from a specific group to view a directory.  The authentication and
restriction process was virtually instant.  This was on a LAN but I'm sure that
there's not that much traffic associated with any simple request to cause
serious bottlenecks on a dialup.

> 3.	Is there anything better than LDAP?  Is LDAP old technology or is
> there something better I should be looking into?

It's funny but I used to dislike LDAP for authentication, etc. since I was used
to NIS.  After noodling around with LDAP in apache, it is looking like a better
solution all the time.  The cool thing is that you can put LOTS of different
information into LDAP such as a complete corporate directory, complete with
authentication information, phone numbers, etc. and it's all stored in one
place.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it old technology any more than you could
consider *NIX old technology.  It's constantly being improved.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob

=====