Flumoxed

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 09:34:45 EST 2002

I appear to be going in circles.  I am running NIS+NFS to authenticate and
mount home drives from the server.  My server also runs ypbind so that I get
the same login wherever I sit.

>From my client machine I can get to NIS just fine (a ypcat passwd comes back
instantly) however there are VERY LONG pauses when X starts up, when I select a
user and when I type the password and try to login.  Once I'm at a desktop the
OS runs fine.

I ran 'tail -f /var/log/messages' while going to telinit 5 from 3 and saw that
the log showed "authenticating mount request from 192.169.10.100 for
/export/home/jjneff  <-- Or something very much like this.  It repeated many
times while X was STARTING (NOT from me trying to login!)

Then it would say the same thing for lgneff and kaya the only other 2 users in
NIS.  This message repeats at least 7 times/per user even before I get to KDM.
Once I click a user - the log messages all repeat some more and once I try to
login I get many more of them from the user I logged in as.

I am using Autofs to mount /export/home/& to /home/* but I do not understand
why so many authentication requests are being generated.  It's the only thing I
can think of that may be slowing me down....

I added "options eth0 full_duplex=1" into my modules.conf to try to get the
NICs to not auto-negotiate (10/100 switch) and the 3c95x and epic100 do not
appear to have a "speed=100"option...

I've tried auto.master and auto.home from both NIS and files and it appears to
work the same either way.  Am I missing something obvious or is there anything
else I can try.

Again it appears to be network related because If I logon from a console on the
server as any of the above mentioned users I get no problems and snap right on.

Thanks

JJN