Gentoo Linux

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Wed Apr 3 03:36:33 EST 2002

<x-html>
OK, <br>
Well I feel that I have to add my $.02 worth here.. <br>
One of the problems I see facing Linux has already been done.&nbsp; Unix
splintered off into separate groups that did &quot;their own thing&quot;
back when.&nbsp; I see this already happening to Linux.&nbsp; I am ALL
for open source, it just bothers me that all these &quot;wannabe's&quot;
will make their own distro which is just a collection of work that they
didn't do or contribute to, yet they wanna make money from it.<br>
Yes, it is perfectly acceptable&nbsp; by the terms of GNU copyleft, but
that still doesn't make it right.&nbsp; If I did nothing but collected
what is needed to build a 'basic' Linux box, with no appreciable
additions, I would feel like a heel by charging for that, regardless that
'my time is money'.<br>
I think the FHS&nbsp; <u>NEEDS</u> to become a reality, and that Every
linux distro follow it, standardization is not necessarily a bad
thing.&nbsp; It will only make us stronger in the long run if it doesn't
matter that 'so &amp; so' learned on Debian or RH or Slackware, as long
as the FHS is in place, then the files that matter will be where they
should be.<br>
That is one of the strengths of proprietary systems, things are where you
expect them to be, each time/every time.<br>
Just my $.02<br>
Chaz®<br>
At 07:48 PM 4/2/02 -0500, you wrote:<br>
in this.&nbsp; Has anyone checked out Gentoo?<br>
</x-html>