LAN browsing.....

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 17:32:31 EDT 2001

>>From a command window, try:
smbclient -L machinename
If it asks for a password, you may have to use the '-U user -W workgroup' to
get everything listed.  Then try:

smbmount //machinename/sharename /mnt/machinename/share
after creating the /mnt/machinenname/share directory.

That should mount the share from the windows box as a Linux directory that you
an browse.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob Meyer
--- HARIPRASAD JAYARAM <j_hari at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am novice to networking.
> I am trying to browse windows pc files frommy linux
> machine.
> linux machine is HP pavilion with KDE desktop.
> windows  machines are 2 separate dell PCs (Dimensions)
> all connected to switch-netgear router-cablemodem.
>
> the windows pc has win2000 professional.(these two
> machines can access each other files , basically
> sharing files).
>
> Now i want to access windows files at the linux
> machine, I know i can configure samba, other than that
> what option i have.
> Even for samba what all steps I have to make it share
> and work.
> Error message i get when click on KDE lan browsing is
> Could not connect to local host localhost.
>
> WE have Adelphia cable modem., i can send mails using
> this linuc PC, access web,
> Is there specific IP settings i have to do.
>
> Hope my questions are clear.
>
> Thanks
> Hari
>
> =====
> HARIPRASAD JAYARAM
> 2100 Sheridan Drive Apt 122
> Buffalo NY - 14223
> Ph : 716 877 0669

> Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.