Thoughts for the meeting

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 14:17:18 EDT 2001

I was recently reading the NIS HOW-TO in order to learn what NIS was.  I tore
apart my NT server adn ahve decided to be exclusively a Linux Domain (with a
Win box for games!) at home.  NIS seemed liek a fine idea!.  I then relaized I
was not sure what to do with my laptops!  If NIS allows my Home directory to be
an NFS out onthe netowrk this woudl allow me to have much more drive space then
I have on my machine (a good thing) but I also want the same program settings
when my laptop is disconnected or on another network.

Has anyone used NIS client on a laptop?  How do you keep a local profile in
sync with a NIS profile?

Ideas .. possible topic of discussion for the next meeting?  Any NIS pros out
there using NIS now in a corporate environment?

JJN