NIS ad NFS

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 13:23:05 EST 2001

Welcome to my world...

First of all, you tell nsswitch.conf to use NIS for password and group maps.
You set up automounter maps with your home directories in them and make an NFS
shared place for them to really live.  You point the NIS password file home
directories to the automounter location, not the real location.

Did I mention that this takes some planning?

I could work with you some on it sometime since I'm going to be an unemployed
bum next week.  It's kinda tough to just whack it all out in an Email.  You're
getting into enterprise level administration techniques and out of the small
system mindframe.

We'll chat sometime.  I'm pretty busy today, as you might imagine.

later...

Bob
--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I setup Mandrake 8.1 on my Old NT server and would like to use Linux
> exclusively.  To that end I want to dual boot my Gaming machine to Linux.  I
> added a HD and some other hardware and it all works under Windows.  Now I
> want
> to install Linux.  I also want to use NIS and NFS so that I can keep one
> Name/password and map my Home drive to the Server just Like I used to under
> NT
> domain.
>
> I set up NIS server according to MUO (Mandrake Users instructions) and am not
> sure if I have to create a user in the NIS password database that is seperate
> from my Local logon user (on server) also how do I get the Home drive on my
> server mounted on my workstation (I already added /home/jjneff(rw) to my
> /etc/exports) I assume I just mount it from FSTAB on my client machine.  But
> then how do I do this at install time to point to that spot or do I redo the
> link after installing.  Tips from real world admins?
>
> JJN
>
> PS I saw that NIS was an option to logon when doing the install but again not
> sure what Name/passwrd DB it uses...

> http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

=====
Bob Meyer