redhat 7.2

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Tue Nov 20 13:08:50 EST 2001

OOHH!!  SLACKWARE is what you NEED!! :-D  Debian is very hands on as
well, but while I watched a Debian installation, I never did one.
Slackware 8.0 offers the 2.2.19 or 2.4.5 kernel.  But it's always been a
very easy exercise to download the sources and recompile to anything you
want.  The server I use at work started at 2.2.13 that came w/ Slackware
7.1, and I compiled up to 2.2.19 w/ the RAID patches.  I think I skipped
.14 and .17.
I did an install of FreeBSD, but I eventually burned it.  It was just
different enough, and I didn't have the time to devote to it, and needed
a SAMBA server.  But the installation was well documented, if very text
based.  Someday I'll have enough spare hardware to install it and leave
it running long enough to learn!  Very lean and fast.  I'm not sure how
FreeBSD and OpenBSD are related, but that's my experience ...  Not much!
One other little plug for Slackware, Patrick Volkerdung is very committed
to having a distribution that will install on anything Linux can run on,
so even outdated hardware will work, even a 386SX! :-)

Hope this helps, and let me know how it goes, or even if you think you
need help.  I was really disappointed to miss the Sunday meeting, I love
installs! ;-)  My wife got VERY (and messily! -poor baby!) ill on Friday
afternoon, so I tried to fill in over the weekend so she could get
better.  I WILL make it to one of the meetings one of these days!!!

-Greg

On 11/20/01, 12:29:04, "Wechter, Ron" <WechterR at cnrc.navy.mil> wrote
regarding RE: redhat 7.2: