Comsumer assistance...

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Nov 8 09:02:17 EST 2001

> Because of item 3, my guess is that a pentium of the 233 class should be
> adequate (i saw that p75 doing great as long as there it was a text display,
> but as soon as the x-window system loaded, it died..)

Running an older version of X-Windows might help.  XFree86 3.3.6 was
pretty stable, and decent in speed.  All you need is a simple Windows
Manager like ctwm, blackbox (enlightenment might be pushing it) instead of
KDE or Gnome.  That will greatly speed up a machine.

> I'm currently looking at e-bay and I really need to know, are there any
> brands to avoid?  I have run linux on Dell's before, so I know those work.

Try out www.techsmart.com  I'm looking there right now for a laptop as
well.  They seem to have good prices for decent machines.

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.