What are we gonna do today, Brain? -- Suggestion

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at localnet.com
Sun May 20 05:52:32 EDT 2001

"Ronald K. Wechter" wrote:

> All:
>
> I would be very interested on Linux security practices.  Working for the
> government security is one of our main concerns.  At this point a Linux
> server cannot be used unless a formal security plan has been typed up and a
> flow chart made.  This makes it kind of hard to document a security plan for
> an OS that has no "true" standards unless standards are made by the SysAd.
> Finding out what practices for security are used in the "Industry" for linux
> would really help.
>
> Things I would like to know:
> * Linux Security Measurements -- Network
> *  "                       "  -- Users
> *  "                       "  -- System/Configuration
> *  "                       "  -- Public Services (FTP, HTTP, Secure Shell,
> Chroot environments [how-to])
> * Virus Scanning and/or Virus secuirty practices
> * Server Fail-Over practices (If the main server is attacked and brought
> down what type of configuration should the fail-over server have to ensure
> that the same attack will not affect it as did the primary server).
>
> All of the above topics are required to be in full documentation before any
> system here is brought online.  Once these procedures are approved then the
> server can go into "production".  At some point I also would like to learn
> how to secure the network using Linux's routing features (now incorporated
> into the kernel for 2.4?) and best security practices for DNS/Bind ( This
> could be a whole meeting in itself).
>
> Thank You for Your Time!
>
> Ronald K. Wechter
> Network Systems Administrator
> NRD Buffalo Webmaster
> Navy Recruiting Department Buffalo
> (716) 551-4901

Have you considered a virtual "UML" box? There are 2 ways to implement it that
are
Open Source  and free. UML is User Mode Linux and works only with Linux and is
reportedly a great method for testing new kernels, diferent distributions on
one box
and as a secure gateway for connected boxes.  There was an article on this in
one of the
Linux magazines I subscribe to (Linux Journal, Linux Magazine, Maximum Linux,
Sys Admin,
or Enterprise Linux Jourmal)
The second way and one I may try my self is with PLEX86 (www.plex86.org). This
is the
Open Source version of VMware as I understand it. It allows you to run Windows
or another
distribution of Linux in a Linux Virtual Machine. Similar to Win4Lin and
VMware. The security
comes from setting up your exposed services in a virtual machine. The would be
attacker or snoop
can only, if sucessful, mess with the exposed VM and cannot gain access outside
that VM.
Internally, access to the exposed VM is granted by group and user permissions
and mounting the
created virtual partition either as a NFS or SMB mount. How everything goes
together is
something I would like to investigate if and when I find time.
Hope this info is something you can use.
Bob Stockdale
javabob at localnet.com