another question for the knowledgeable from the clueless

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue May 15 16:50:03 EDT 2001

In 7.1, most of the services are located in the directory /etc/xinetd.d

This doesn't contain info about a POP service , but other services like
telnet, rlogin, ftp, etc. are located there.

To activate any of these services, you need to modify the appropriate file
(ie: >cd /etc/xinetd.d/ ; >vi telnet ) and either comment out or remove
the line that says 'disable = yes'

I prefer to comment out.  This way, you don't have to remember the
commands if you need to reimplement them in the future for some reason.
Programs can be so finicky with config files :)

Then all you have to do is restart xinetd & you're all set
`/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart`

As for a POP program, I'm not familiar with one that was installed with
Redhat 7.1.  All I'm familiar with is sendmail (in reference to mail
delivery).  But you can always install qpopper.  A pretty good (and free)
POP server.

-Rob

> I have a quick question. I was able to turn everything on in Redhat 7.0 suck as POP and such after searching for a bit, but where are the files you have to edit now in 7.1. Can't seem to find them again :) Seems every version they make it different to turn on the POP and such.
>

>   Thanks

> From: Darin Perusich <Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:22:24 +0000
>
> >i like mrtg (Multi Router Traffic Grapher) for monitoring network
> >traffic. it's written in perl and C and works on just about all
> >platforms, unix and window$.
> >
> >http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html
> >
> >Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com wrote:
> >>
> >> After installing Red Hat (ok, i just had to look at 7.1...)  I had a
> >> question.  What tools are out there for monitoring the network?  I found
> >> out that there is a way to switch the nic to promiscuous mode for that
> >> purpose, but what programs actually do it?
> >>
> >> Actually, I don't even need promiscuous mode, I'm just looking for a basic
> >> 'top' like tool that can tell me what data rate and network utilization i'm
> >> getting.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Richard A. Hubbard III
> >> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
> >>  A+, Net+,I-net+
> >> Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
> >> richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
> >> phone (716) 681-8500 x2241
> >>            (716) 206-2241 Direct
> >> fax      (716) 206-2222
> >
> >--
> >Darin Perusich
> >Unix Administrator
> >Cognigen Corp.
> >darinper at cognigencorp.com

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.