telnetd on mandrake (or, i seem to have been whacked with a stupid stick!)

Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com
Wed May 9 13:41:31 EDT 2001

immensely, thank you!

Richard A. Hubbard III
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
 A+, Net+,I-net+
Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
phone (716) 681-8500 x2241
           (716) 206-2241 Direct
fax      (716) 206-2222

                    Robert Dege
                    <rdege at cse.Bu        To:     <nflug at nflug.org>
                    ffalo.EDU>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: telnetd on mandrake (or, i seem to have been whacked
                    owner-nflug at n        with a stupid stick!)
                    flug.org

                    05/09/01
                    10:33 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    nflug

Since Mandrake followes the RedHat style of installing Linux,
everything is mainly rpm installed.  You can do the following command:

>rpm -qa | grep telnet

There should be 2 packages installed:

telnet
telnet-server

If you don't have either of these, you can install them via you're
Mandrake CD, or go to www.rpmfind.net

telnet.d is setup through inetd (or xinetd, depending on your Mandrake
release), and can be configured through /etc/inetd.conf (or
/etc/xinetd.conf)

Hope this helps

-Rob

> In my nefarious plot to get our NT boxes switched to Linux, I have a test
> server running Samba (not 2.2 yet, that will come soon!).
>
> However, I wish to configure this machine for remote access, and I can't
> seem to find telnetd.
>
> Am I looking for the right daemon?  Did I forget to install it?
>
> If I forgot to install it, how to I add packages to Mandrake? (i'm really
> spoiled.  Although slackware is officially harder, I could always run
> 'setup' as root and install packages.  I'm really clueless with
Mandrake.)

> A pointer to the HOWTO or man page would be remembered forever, thanks!
>
> Richard A. Hubbard III
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
>  A+, Net+,I-net+
> Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
> richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
> phone (716) 681-8500 x2241
>            (716) 206-2241 Direct
> fax      (716) 206-2222

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.