win2lin

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 3 14:54:51 EST 2001

If you need to play the game (and that is exactly the best term for it),
there are a couple of routes.

For linux, there are several sets of tests that you can take, and they vary
in cost.  For example, Red Hat offers linux certifications (in Red Hat, of
course) but at least the last time I checked, you had to go to North
Carolina and take the week long course there.

Caldera has tests that can be taken at any prometric testing center, cost
about $100 per test.

SAIR is another certification, (i'm biased here, as a SAIR certified
instructor) and it is a little nicer (i think) than the other linux
certifications because it asks about different distributions. However, there
are several tests, and until you start taking the second tier of tests, it
doesn't seem to be testing you on real 'administrator' level stuff. (IE in
the networking test, you have to know what Samba does...in the second tier
of certification, there is a Samba test, and they expect you to know how to
configure it).

Then there are the unix certifications, which are specific to the brand.
SCO, Sun, IBM and HP all have their tests.  And again, each one is going to
cost about $100.

>>From what I have seen so far, though, (I may be wrong), since certification
is a game that Novell and Micro$oft have been playing for years, more people
know and care about those certifications.  In the Linux/Unix world, there
hasn't been nearly as much call for the certifications.

Richard Hubbard
Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
MCT, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD,CLP, CLI, A+, Net+
I-Net+, LCP, LCI
office : 716-681-8500 office

fight inflation, repeal boyle's law...