Database Applications

Joe Pollock josephj at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 5 09:21:36 EDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C0EDA0.EB652AC0

Thanks.  I value your opinion.

I'm looking for overall guidance and direction as to what
tools to use and what approach to take.  To that end, I am providing you
with quite a bit of background information to start with.

Long ago and far away, I studied rdbms' in school when they were very =
new -
mid '70's.  I was a professional programmer/analyst for 17 years and now =
am desperately trying to become an end user <g>.  Ideally, I want to =
work in
an environment that does everything for me, but that lets me get in and
change things when it (invariably) doesn't do it the way I want it.

What I want to do:

Most of what I want to do now are very simple single user (me) =
applications.
Stuff like cataloging CD's, books, and audio tapes.  Later, I will want =
run a small business with a mail order / web catalog and client =
database.
Off the shelf for most of it would be great.  I don't like reinventing
wheels.

Right now, I'm studying Holistic Health and I have a list (printed only) =
of
about 1000 remedies that I need to get into machine readable / =
searchable
form.  I've designed the basic tables I'll need on paper and set it up =
so I
can expand it easily to include recommendations to (future) clients and
tracking of what they actually take or buy.  Eventually, I may want to =
build
a database of herbs as well.  Herbs, etc. are difficult to deal with =
because
there are so many of them and it's just a ton of memorization - a =
perfect
application for a database - especially since, if I roll my own, I can =
add
my own comments and notes, etc. to it.

If I can get this nice enough, I might want to sell it as a limited =
market
product to other practitioners, so that part would probably have to run =
in
Windoz and be as stand-alone and inexpensive as possible.  But right =
now, I
just want to get it to work for me.  Later, I can export the data to =
another
product etc. if I have to.

What I have now:

I am running Windoz 98se and have just installed Access 2000.  I also =
have
Sybase SQL Anywhere 6.0 still in shrink wrap.

I am also running (dual boot) Red Hat 7.0 which I am about to replace =
with
Mandrake 8.0.

Under Red Hat, I was able to install mysql, but couldn't figure out
Postgresql.

When I got mysql installed, I was kind of disappointed because it was =
"just
a database".  It had no application components to it - like forms, =
reports,
and programming logic, etc.

What I know:

I bought and read Mastering SQL (Linux edition), so I have some
understanding of what SQL is and does.  I have programmed in many =
languages
including a bit of C, but not C++.  I understand the basic concepts of
object oriented programming, but have never done any (and don't really =
want
to learn it if I don't have to.)  Ditto for HTML and web programming.  =
In
the distant past, I had some battles with dBase II and III as well as =
with
Paradox 3.0 (I didn't win too many of them <g>.)

Thanks for your time.  Any suggestions you may have will be appreciated.

Joe

  ----- Original Message -----=20