Mandrake 8.0 - Screen

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Mon Jun 4 08:44:17 EDT 2001

if you start getting the "40 40 ..." when the X server starts up, after
all the other services startup, you'll want to boot into single user
mode and disable the graphical startup.

from the lilo prompt type boot single <CR>, this will boot into single
user. once you're in single user mode make sure the root filesystem is
in read-write mode,
mount -o rw,remount / . the /etc/inittab file controls what run level
that system boots to, runlevel 5 is the GUI. backup this file, cp
/etc/inittab /etc/inittab.orig. the line in the file that reads
id:5:initdefault: should be changed to id:3:initdefault:

save these changes and reboot the machine. when the machine comes back
up again you probable want to reconfigure the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
either hack it by hand, or you can use xf86config, Xconfigurator (this
is a redhat tool, but mandrake is a basicly redhat).

enjoy
darin

--
Darin Perusich