Seventeen Years OId and State of the Art

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 31 20:20:29 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory J.Neumann" <gjn at certainlywood.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: Seventeen Years OId and State of the Art

AMEN TO THAT!  If it weren't for old, cast off hardware, I'd have no
hardware at all!! ;-)

I found the article near to my heart, but amusing in that I kept thinking
"where's he been?  I knew that all along!"  This is one of the reasons I
also like Slackware.  Patrick makes it a point to have a distro that will
run on anything from a 386/SX on, so I don't have to worry about what old
hardware I'm dealing with.  ;-)

Gotta' love the Penguin!
-Greg

Hi All.

Hi Greg

Well people I'm toten in a small box with monitor to the next meeting to
install Mandrake 8.0 since I'm new to Linux I hope
I can get some help from John Neff and the gang. Here is what I'm toten in
an Intel P1 200Mhz with the following, Modem: USR 33.600 ISA, NIC Card: 3Com
EtherLink III 10 Base-T ISA ( I think?), Sound Card: Creative Labs ES1371
PCI, Video Card: ATI Mach32 (I think 8mg's video ram) PCI, 128mg's PC-100
10ns dimm ram 2x64. All on a Matsonic
MS-5120 Motherboard VIA chipset. In a Linux mag I read the stated minimum
recommended system was a P1 233Mhz with 64mg's of ram. Well lets see
Mandrake 8.0 will install for real on a P1 200Mhz with 128mg's of 10ns dimm
ram with
the aboved mentioned hardware.

Well I'll see ya all there.

-Ron