Backing up my system?

Joe Pollock josephj at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 26 10:55:27 EDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C115C1.7AC6B9C0

Hi.  Before I get into all the gruesome details, my basic question is: =
How do I backup my system using linux so I can restore it *completely* =
in a simple manner without going through reinstalling everything (my =
Windoz system takes about 4 days by the time I get all the applications =
and patches etc. back where they were)?

I have a dual boot system with Windoz on the C and D drives (hda1, hda5) =
and Red Hat 7.0 on 3 remaining partitions.  The last and largest =
partition is /image.  It is currently empty and should have plenty of =
room (around 11 gb) for compressed backups of everything else.

I am about to install Mandrake 8.0, but first, I want to backup all of =
Red Hat (excluding the image partition itself and /mnt) to /image so I =
can restore it if I need anything or if I don't like Mandrake, etc.

I read the tar man and info pages and tried the following:

#bash
#backuprh - backup RedHat 7.0 to image partition
tar -c -P --preserve --same-owner -S --totals -w -z --file=3D/image/rh7 =
--exclude=3D/image -V rh7 /

I realize that I need to add something like --exclude=3D/mnt, but the =
main problem was that when I ran this it was asking for confirmation on =
every file (which would take a few years to complete).  Can I just =
remove the -w option?  I was hoping it would only ask for confirmation =
for an overwrite or other problem - not for everything.

The bottom line is - How do I make an easily restorable backup of Red =
Hat to my /image drive and what do I have to watch for or do when I =
install Mandrake so that Windoz and the /image partition are left =
intact?  Also, once Mandrake is installed, are there any issues related =
to accessing the /image partition if I want to extract something from =
the archive?

As a side issue, the tar documentation refers to a backup script that =
should do a lot of this for me, but it didn't really tell me how it =
works.  Also, it said that the restore script (kind of useful) didn't =
exist.  What's the story on this?

I am big on backups, having been burnt numerous times.  I am in the =
process of installing a cd-rw drive.  One of the main reasons for =
getting it was so I could back up linux and Windoz and restore them if I =
have to.  It seems like a good idea to backup Windoz partitions from =
linux as some sort of image backup because when linux is running, Windoz =
isn't, so no files are locked etc.

What about various backup utilities like bru and amanda?  What's the =
easiest way to deal with this and keep it all straight so that when =
something breaks and panic starts to set in, there's a simple procedure =
to follow to get back to a known state without having to figure =
everything out again and worrying that you might leave out some =
important data or patches.

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C115C1.7AC6B9C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hi.&nbsp; Before I get into all the gruesome details, my basic =
question is:=20
How do I backup my system using linux&nbsp;so I can restore it =
*completely* in a=20
simple manner without going through reinstalling everything (my Windoz =
system=20
takes about 4 days by the time I get all the applications and patches =
etc. back=20
where they were)?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have a dual boot system with Windoz on the C and D drives (hda1,=20
hda5)&nbsp;and Red Hat 7.0 on 3 remaining partitions.&nbsp; The last=20
and&nbsp;largest partition is&nbsp;/image.&nbsp; It is currently empty =
and=20
should have plenty of room (around 11 gb) for compressed backups of =
everything=20
else.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am about to install Mandrake 8.0, but first, I want to backup all =
of Red=20
Hat&nbsp;(excluding the image partition itself and&nbsp;/mnt)&nbsp;to =
/image so=20
I can restore it if I need anything or if I don't like Mandrake, =
etc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I read the tar man and info pages and tried the following:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>#bash<BR>#backuprh - backup RedHat 7.0 to image partition<BR>tar -c =
-P=20
--preserve --same-owner -S --totals -w -z --file=3D/image/rh7 =
--exclude=3D/image -V=20
rh7 /<BR></DIV>
<DIV>I realize that I need to add something like --exclude=3D/mnt, but =
the main=20
problem was that when I ran this it was asking for confirmation on every =
file=20
(which would take a few years to complete).&nbsp; Can I just remove the =
-w=20
option?&nbsp; I was hoping it would only ask for confirmation for an =
overwrite=20
or other problem - not for everything.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The bottom line is - How do I make an easily restorable backup of =
Red Hat=20
to my /image drive and what do I have to watch for or do when I install =
Mandrake=20
so that Windoz and the /image partition are left intact?&nbsp; Also, =
once=20
Mandrake is installed, are there any issues related to accessing the =
/image=20
partition if I want to extract something from the archive?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As a side issue, the tar documentation refers to a backup script =
that=20
should do a lot of this for me, but it didn't really tell me how it =
works.&nbsp;=20
Also, it said that the restore script (kind of useful) didn't =
exist.&nbsp;=20
What's the story on this?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am big on backups, having been burnt numerous times.&nbsp; I am =
in the=20
process of installing a cd-rw drive.&nbsp; One of the main reasons for =
getting=20
it was so I could back up linux and Windoz and restore them if I have =
to.&nbsp;=20
It seems like a good idea to backup Windoz partitions from linux =
as&nbsp;some=20
sort of&nbsp;image backup because when linux is running, Windoz isn't, =
so no=20
files are locked etc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What about various backup utilities like bru and amanda?&nbsp; =
What's the=20
easiest way to deal with this and keep it all straight so that when =
something=20
breaks and panic starts to set in, there's a simple procedure to follow =
to get=20
back to a known state without having to figure everything out again and =
worrying=20
that you might leave out some important data or =
patches.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C115C1.7AC6B9C0--