Flavors of Linux/UNIX

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Thu Dec 27 10:53:30 EST 2001

FWIW dpt.:
Before my Linux guru buddy moved away, we had a FreeBSD installation up
and running, but it was just "different" enough that we didn't get enough
of an understanding of it to do a lot other than say, "This looks very
cool!"  Then I needed the HD for my daughter's college computer, and as I
couldn't use it, ... back to Slackware, KDE and StarOffice 5.2.

FWIW #2: up until the new memory manager in the 2.4.12+ Linux kernels,
tests of high volume web servers always gave a considerable edge to
FreeBSD, but I've read an article recently that says that the performance
difference is nearly gone.

FWIW #3: I have a CD w/ FreeBSD 4.0 that I can copy.  If interested, let
me know.

-Greg Neumann

On 12/27/01, 08:53:55, "Robert Pope" <Pope at ecc.edu> wrote regarding Flavors
of Linux/UNIX: