Mandrake 8.1

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 26 10:41:03 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Lawton " <green_man at bluefrognet.net>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.1

> On 23 Dec 2001, at 17:58, Ronald Maggio wrote:
>
> <Large Edit>
> > ------>
> > Why windows 95? I use windows 98SE 2nd version. I know it is a memory
pig
> > but it has more features.
> > Also why not use Windows NT Workstation its not plug and play but its
not a
> > memory as Win 9x
> > I have it on an older Pentium box with Mandrake 8.0 and both are running
> > fine, but each one has its own drive.
> >
> Originally, when I literally built this machine it had a 124MB
> drive, so space was at a premium, and no OS, and a DX66 chip. A
> friend had Win95, so I had Win95, plain and simple. With an AMD
> Overdrive chip it's now at 166MHz, but Win95 has always done
> everything I needed it to, so I never saw a need to upgrade past
> 95B w/USB support [they must hate me, because I registered my
> own copy as "anonymous user"], but now Win95 is "out of the
> loop".
<---------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
-------->

Yes that sounds like an old box! luckily you where able to upgrade it
somewhat
If your using a copy from a friend, I don't quite understand. Why do you
think that you have to register it you can skip that part of the
installation and just go on to the rest of the install. Well yes Win 95 is
no longer supported as you stated. As far as tech support but downloads are
available all over the web.

> I have replaced the 124MB with a 2GB [test bed]or a 3GB
> [regular use]. When ever I want to try some new software, or play
> with some configs or inis, I do it on the test bed to see what the
> effects might be first. If everything works out, I do it to the 3 Gig, if
> not, I just remove it and Restore the 2 Gig.

<--------------------------snip-------------------------------------->
Good idea. Its also called a crash drive and or sytstem.

> <Edit>
> >
> > Thats why I think its better to install linux on another harddisk drive.
> > Drives are cheeper now than ever and trying to install linux on a
different
> > partition on the same drive is worth it trust me! You can have it boot
off a
> > floppy or write LILO to the master boot record. I let it write to the
master
> > boot record and it works fine. I should say that I back up the master
boot
> > record anyway just in case. Nothing in carved in stone about the
stability
> > of any OS.
> >
> Right after I sent the last message, I decided to repartition the
> test bed, so now Widows is in 1 Gig, and the other one is waiting
> to be either an extended partition or another Logical Drive for Linux
> to test.
> The new box will be a 950MHz Athlon and a 20GB drive, so I'm
> wide open to suggestions there. I'll probably be a giggling idiot for
> months because of all the speed and space ! :-) !

<----------------------------------snip-------------------------------------
-------->
No there is not such thing as a stupid question or anyone being an idiot.
Its the question not asked or someone not willing to "Network" pardor the
pun!!!
with others.

I would suggest to chop the drive up a bit though. 20 gigs Hmmm...Well this
is what I would do.
take 10gigs and divide it in thirds 1. for OS and utilities. 2. for Programs
and 3. for Storage.
Leave the other 10gigs for Linux. The drive that is coming with the system
is it Maxtor or ?
it should come with a HHD utility floppy. To make it ready ie: Partitioning.
For installation of whatever OS you choose.
Ect.

> <Edit>
> > >  I can always
> > > lose the Windows later if I become a hardcore Linuxer.
> > > Does anyone have any preferences/recommendations as to an
> > > emailer to use in Linux?
> >
> > Kmail its right in Mandrake I really like it a lot! Its the best I've
seen.
> > Looks and acts a lot like Oh yes I'm going to say it...
> > Outlook Express. Well at least to me it does.
> >
> I'll definitely give it a try. I don't actually have Outlook, it
> seemed like a waste of space. Also, I read there are only about 10
> or 15 viruses that Linux is susceptible to [most use the boot
> sector], but most of the really devastating and virulent ones,
> epidemiologically speaking, use Outlook as their vector. Hence,
> the Pegasus.
<--------------------------------snip---------------------------------------

I have used Pegasus, I'm thinking of trying it again but that will not
totally guard against infiltration by hackers.
If they want to get in they will. Even with a firewall! Especially if my
case when I had not totally understand how to properly configure the
Internet Security to pervent hackers from braking in. ie: port attack.

I'm going to reinstall Linux on my boxes, but I have a question to put to
the pro's. I'm using Norton Internen Security on my Windows boxes. Is there
a open source program like Nortons Internet Security that I can install on
my Linux boxes. Or does Mandrake 8.0 and onward have it built in? ie:
Firewall/Antivrius programs.

> <Edit>
> >
> > I've used Pegasus Mail before I still like it also. I wonder if there is
> > anything built like it for linux. That is buy the same company or
another.

> I'm checking on that.
<-----------------------------snip------------------------------------------
--->

Robert Dege: Says Pine and also there is a Pine for non-linux? ie: Windoze

I like Kmail. Also theres one called Pan built into Mandrake 8.0 but not in
8.1. Its a fill in the fields and it does the rest.
(Self configuring) I guess this one could be compared to a Pegasus look
alike? Maybe? You just have to try'em and see which one you like the most.
I'm still learning I'll be a newbie for some time untill I am more well
versed in Linux.

Well got to go talk to ya latter.

Ron Maggio