Mandrake 8.1

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Sun Dec 23 17:00:02 EST 2001

Greetings Group:
	Well, If everything goes as planned, I should have my new machine
the week after Christmas. It's getting Mandrake, unless anyone has a
more convincing argument than Bob's as to why I should try a different
distro:

>	Well, I usually have copies of the latest Mandrake Linux at the
>meetings. The latest is currently 8.1 (Vitamin).  I've been actively
>trying to convert the whole group to Mandrake through drug dealer
>techniques (hmmm... Want to try some disks? :-)

	It'll be dual boot with Win95, because that's what I've been using for
the past 5yrs, but I have to get that in first, because as stated in Linux
for Dummies, Quick Reference, 3e under I'VE LOST MY LINUX ! -
"Windows arrogantly assumes that it is the only OS on the system."
They recommend installing it [WIN] first, because Linux gets along
better with Windows in the boot sector if it's there first. I can always
lose the Windows later if I become a hardcore Linuxer.
	Does anyone have any preferences/recommendations as to an
emailer to use in Linux? I am currently using Pegasus Mail for
Windows, which according to op.cit. and it's own help files seems to
rely on something very similar to fetchmail, sendmail, and promail all
rolled in to one tidy very useful package. It allows filtering, multiple user
identities, selective mail download, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Regarding the whole dig sig flap, pegmail warned me that message
contained unknown content that may not be textual, and asked me
what to do with it before I opened it.
	At any rate, barring a couple of feet of snow the night before [I
haven't taught my dogs to mush, yet... but that's another hobby], I'll be
at the next meeting.

--
Scott

LINUX - not just _A_ good idea,