New Member

Chin Khee Tan ck571 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 14:15:42 EST 2001

Hi all,

My name's CK, and I just recently moved to this area. Being a fresh graduate
and still jobless, I've gotten myself a new hobby, and hoping to move into a
totally new field with Linux. Still a novice nevertheless.

We have several computers hooked up together through a switch to a broadband
provider, and one of the machines is a Linux box (Mandrake 8.1), which I am
trying to set up as a server for a separate subnet through a hub.

Just so that you have more information about what I've been trying to do.

eth0 is a client that connects to a Microsoft server box through a switch.
eth1 is my interface that connects to another LAN through a hub, on a
different subnet.

I have two problems that I hope some of you might have some answers to.

Problem1:
I installed webmin to work as a web interface for my Samba configuration,
through port 10000, but when I fired it up, it says that the connection is
broken. I tried it with SWAT, through port 901, and it says that the tcp
port 901 is not connected. I checked out the /etc/services file, and swat
tcp/901 was there. I went into the xinetd file and did the changes necessary
to make it work. It didn't. I went into the smb.conf file and configured it
from there. But I'm just curious as to what could be the cause of this
situation.

Problem2:
I am able to ping out of my Linux box, but can't ping in. I think it could
be a firewall problem. When I configured the firewall through netconf -
Server Tasks - Internet Services - Internet Firewall and Masquerade -
Internet - Advanced, the 'Deny ping requests' and 'Deny Traceroute requests'
boxes are always checked. Everytime I unchecked them, they would still go
back to the default checked. I'm assuming there is a bug right there, that's
preventing the other computers to 'see' my Linux machine.

I guess this is a quite a long introductory mail, but I'd welcome any
suggestions. Thanks!

ck