Clone disks

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Dec 3 17:09:49 EST 2001

Research carefully!  Depending on the distribution and kernel, you may or
may not have to patch your kernel to support RAID.  I, also, have a 2
disk SCSI RAID1 set up.  Simple software mirroring.  VERY FAST reads, as
it nearly doubles the SCSI read bandwidth, but a bit slower on the
writes, as EACH disk in the array must be written to separately.  But, as
they say, it's a small price to pay.  You can actually have a RAID setup
using different partitions on the same drive!  But other than a practice
exercise, I don't see much use to it.  Sort of defeats the purpose.
There are several "flavors" of software RAID supported by the Linux
kernel, RAID 0, 1 & 5 being the most commonly used.  I leave it to you to
figure out what they do! ;-)  The RAID HOWTO is very useful, and the mail
list that is VERY helpful. Look back far enough in the archives and
you'll find my silly-a** questions answered fully and courteously.
 http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html should point you in the right
direction.

On 12/1/01, 13:08:33, "[Darth] Snowbeam" <linux at snowbeam.dyndns.org> wrote
regarding Re: Clone disks: