Last meeting notes (FONTS)

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Sun Aug 26 11:01:16 EDT 2001

The disk's are net-card specific at creation time, so one of my floppies
(of course I have backups) will likely not work on your system, but would
be glad to help you out on creating the floppies.  As far as the configs,
here is that information.

rc.local.. which can be edited when you go into the network settings, it is
#3 and states (rc.local)

#!/bin/sh
#
# Coyote local command init script

#I am moving ftp off of port 21 as I am getting hit left and right..
#going to move it up with the telnet window
/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L your-ip open-port -R 192.168.x.x 21

#/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L your-ip open-port -R 192.168.x.x 80
#Added on 6/15 to enable portforwarding of web server

/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L your-ip open-port -R 192.168.x.x 23
#Added on 6/15 to enable port forwarding for telnet
<< EOF >>

that moves your services offered off of the well known ports.. of course I
removed my specific information..
in "your-ip" of course you have to enter your specific ip address.. if it
is given to you via dhcp you may want to change this to be a network
interface.. I know my ip is pretty much always the same so I hard coded it
in.. and "open-port" should be off of the well known ports.. ie above 1024..
you will also have to change the internal net address of the box that you
are connecting to.. I have 192.168.x.x above.. you may have done internal
ip addressing differently than I did.

I know these settings don't offer the best security, but I have not seen
any hits in my logfiles since implementing these few rules.. I also suggest
that after you get your firewall/router setup you use a linux box and do an
nmap or some other form of portscan to see what else you have to close up.

On the MySQL database, I installed Mandrake 8.0 yesterday and it even has
MySQL as an installation option.  Have some more work to do on the box, but
I am keeping a diary of the installation/setup that I  would be willing to
share with anyone in the group that is interested in such things.
As far as Access, I don't use it.. as a matter of fact, that is why I
failed my DB class in school, I carried an A throughout the semester, but
the final project that was worth 50% of the grade was to be done in Access,
and I refused to do it.. teacher thought I was irrational, and was probably
correct.
The good news is that they are now using Oracle for the class project, so
when I retake the class there should not be issues LOL.. I don't mind
Oracle.  Just M$

Chaz®