Check Out the NFLUG WEB SITE Update

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Fri Mar 31 14:28:23 EST 2000

James Simmons wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Dennis J. Eberl wrote:
>
> > Check the updates at http://www.nflug.org
> >
> > Suggestions welcome. Post on list.
>
> A few ideas. One place on join.html a field for users to place how long
> they have been using linux and what level they consider themselves to be.

These are good ideas and consider them noted.

> I tested the join section. Well this is what I get

> Bad Referrer - Access Denied
>
> The form attempting to use FormMail resides at
> http://www.nflug.org/join.html, which is not allowed to
> access this cgi script.
>
> If you are attempting to configure FormMail to run with this
> form, you need to add the following to @referers, explained
> in detail in the README file.
>
> Add 'www.nflug.org' to your @referers array.
>
> FormMail V1.6  1995 - 1997 Matt Wright
> A Free Product of Matt's Script

The problem has been fixed. I was driving Darin nuts with changes yesterday and
foolishly sent
him a tarball of pages that didn't have the "Click Here to Join" href set to the
old test site,
which is the work around we are currently using.

> Whats the project section for?

Well, remember the old BLUG pages I put up. LRP as a modem server was our first
"project."
I plan to use Squishdot capabilities on that page so that people can see a list
of projects with
teaser paragraphs and a link they can click to get the whole enchilada.

> As for the Tutorial section, what should we put their??

Well, not links although we may have occasion to reference a site (and thus
include a link)
in content on the Tutorial page.

Other than that, I must say I haven't thought this one through. It is above all
a newbie
resource I have in mind (e.g., how to burn your monitor out with xvidtune and
write
the parameters into you XConfig file -- not!).

I also hear little nuggets at meetings and often realize things that could go on
an
additional Hints & Tips page. For example, I believe using the <Shift> key
before
logging on to page up and down through everything that flew off the top of the
screen during boot. I have in mind just one or two sentence nanoHOWTOs; things
like, how to avoid typing some 32 alphanumeric freaking directory name you
want to CD to. Just type enough to be unique and hit <Tab> to have it
automatically
completed. How to make a symbolic link, etc. Stuff like how to compile
(especially
the kernel) would belong in Tutorials, I would think.

Do you know, I knew about the Tab thing for about two years before it dawned on
me to use it? There are so many similar "tricks" (if you will) that you have to
dig
through big fat tomes like "Denuding Linux During the Dance of the Seven
Veils," page 1003.

The main thing I wanted to address in Tutorials initially was the command line
and scripting. It is fatal to stay in the ivory tower of Gnome, KDE, or some
such,
afraid to venture out on the command line.

People need to know how to get out of (say) KDE, which they evoked with 'startx'

on their login console (probably equivalent to <Alt><F1>), and get to a command
line login -- e.g., from KDE press <F2> while holding down <Ctrl> AND <Alt>.
After logging in, doing there business (usually as root) and typing exit to get
F2's login prompt (i.e., make sure you are logged off), they need to know they
(being in level 3) they don't need to use the <Ctrl> key and that they don't
want
to do <Alt><F1> to get back to Oz. KDE is at F7. They do an <Alt><F7>

People need that sort of thing. I learned it because I have a habit of trying to

break things and was pissed because <Alt><F2> wouldn't let me bust out.
The explanation is a little too long (only my opinion) to fit in Hints & Tips
(remember nanoHOWTO) but deserves treatment in Tutorials (one step
down from a miniHOWTO, say a microHOWTO?).

> People please post
> ideas, links.

Remember, we know where you live.

> For some ideas for our LUG web site take a look Silicon Valleys Linux
> Users home page at http://www.svlug.org. Warning to members don't drink
> and stare at the green.
>
> "Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
> James Simmons                                           ____/|
> fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
> http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
> http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U

May There Be Sweetness & Light (& Sardines),

Dennis & Blinky