structured time

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 30 23:06:44 EST 2000

> This probably should be discussed in a different thread.  I have some
> ideas that we should kick around as a group regarding the amount of
> 'structured' vs. 'unstructured' time that we have at the meetings...

[snip]...

> I was thinking that the meetings need more
> "unstructured" time for people to actually 'socialize'. We are
> claiming to be a 'social' club, so a bit more "face time" with each
> other, rather than just presentations might be a good idea.  I used to
> be a member of a Magician's group but every meeting brought another
> travelling magician/lecturer to present to the group and virtually no
> time was available for the folks to talk to each other.  There were
> some very experienced magicians in the group that would have been very
> happy to work with some of the younger folks 1 on 1 to teach/coach them
> but no time was allotted for that.  I dropped out of the group in
> disappointment because they claimed that they were a 'social' group
> when in fact, it was a lecture club.

What ideas do you have here? The orginal idea was to have 3 hours to a
presentation and then 1 hour to free time. I would also like to see some
meetings on topics like how to setup a quake session and the lastest games
for linux :) Possible we coudl arrange a quake game fest. I really could
use it after my exams at the end of the semester.