Start Thread:re Software

James A Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 30 11:34:17 EST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, JJ Neff wrote:

> Thank you very much for the clear explanations, and especially helpful links.
>
> I do remember when Quake released its SDK. Is this the same thing as "releasing
> some of it's source" as you mention?

Yes.

> So If I write a game or software and use a GPL library I have to release my
> software under the GPL (ie everyone gets my source who asks) but If I want to
> use GPL libraries with closed program source I use the LGPL?

Correct.

> Once you release the source code (or SDK) anyone can make changes but
> no can sell those changes.

Well it depends on what license you give the game. You have to write your
own license to cover this. GPL license takes over all license whereas
LGPL does not.

> Do I have the terms straight?

Very close. License its NOT fun. I have seen long debates over what
licenses to develope or use and having the lawyers get invloved :(

"Look its a text editor, no its a OS, no its Emacs"
James Simmons                                                      (o_
fbdev/gfx developer                                      (o_  (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                              (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net