NFLUG Meeting Notice

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Mon Apr 10 20:58:36 EDT 2000

--------------7465E6D811488D8ED755119D

Sunday 16 April NFLUG Meeting

WHEN

The next NFLUG meeting is this coming Sunday, April 16th, between the hours of
1:00 and 4:00 PM. Anyone needing to get in earlier should
call Dennis at 691-9232.

WHERE

The Georgian Room (on the mezzanine), The Statler Towers (formerly the Hotel
Statler) at 107 Delaware Avenue on McKinley Square.
Please use the Delaware Avenue entrance. Anyone needing chair access should call
Dennis at 691-9232 so I can arrange to have the door unlocked.

SUBJECT

Hopefully, we will quickly agree to elect a Steering Commity, vote, and get it
over with. The rest of the meeting will be Part 2 of Bob, James, and John's
Firewall presentation. I believe John also has a presentation regarding his
proposed text-based Linux study group.

News

   * There are changes to the NFLUG web sites "Welcome" page  (try to click on
     Blinky's head), to the "What's New" page (membership climbs), and the
     Important Links page (additions and corrections). As I have just posted the
     changes to Darin, they may not show up for a day or two at
     http://www.nflug.org. You can preview them at http://www2.pcom.net/dje/.
   * John Neff would like to hear from people interested in a textbook-based
     Linux study group. John can be contacted at jjneff at praxair.com.
   * Maximum Linux magazine ( http://www.maximumlinux.com/ ) is offering a FREE
     copy of its new magazine to anyone who surfs up on their site. Thanks to
     Robert Dege for brining this new magazine to our attention.
   * Cirque du Soleil will perform a penguin opera at our May meeting. Blinky
     Foobar will be twirled and hoisted aloft . . .
   * The Brooklyn Bridge is once again for sale.

NOTE: This note is repeated for those of you who missed it last time. Regarding
security, firewalls, and the like, there is a great site you can use to benignly
scan your machine available courtesy of Steve Gibson at
http://grc.com/default.htm. Go down to the "Shields UP!" banner and and click on
the "CLICK HERE!" link. Read the " FREE IP Agent" blurb. The point is you need
to know you real IP address to judge the quality of scan results. Under linux
typing (as user) /sbin/ifconfig<Return> or (as root) ifconfig<Return> will give
you the answer under ppp0 (assuming that kind of connection) as inet addr (see
blow). DO NOT use the P-t-P address by mistake.

            ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
                      inet addr:64.30.154.68  P-t-P:208.217.71.245
Mask:255.255.255.255
                      . . . , etc.

If you are scanning Windows, click on the quick to download link to download
Steve's IP Agent and use it to find out your real Internet address. You can then
click on the Test My Shields! button and afterwards  the Probe My Ports! button
to see how really vulnerable you probably are. Fortunately, there is a freely
available (though beta still, I believe) firewall you can install. First, read
Steve's page on firewalls at http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htm.

Next, download Zone Alarm from http://www.zonelabs.com/.

COMMENTS: Comments, flames, better advice, et cetera is invited in regard to the
above NOTE. Thanks

Over and out, you flying penguins you.

--------------7465E6D811488D8ED755119D

<h1>
Sunday 16 April NFLUG Meeting</h1>

<h4>
</h4>

<h4>
WHEN</h4>
The next NFLUG meeting is this coming Sunday, April 16th, between the hours
of 1:00 and 4:00 PM. Anyone needing to get in earlier should
<h4>
WHERE</h4>
The Georgian Room (on the mezzanine), The Statler Towers (formerly the
Hotel Statler) at 107 Delaware Avenue on McKinley Square.
should call Dennis at 691-9232 so I can arrange to have the door unlocked.
<h4>
</h4>

<h4>
SUBJECT</h4>
Hopefully, we will quickly agree to elect a Steering Commity, vote, and
get it over with. The rest of the meeting will be Part 2 of Bob, James,
and John's Firewall presentation. I believe John also has a presentation
regarding his proposed text-based Linux study group.
<h1>
News</h1>

<ul>
<li>
There are changes to the NFLUG web sites "Welcome" page&nbsp; (try to click
on Blinky's head), to the "What's New" page (membership climbs), and the
Important Links page (additions and corrections). As I have just posted
the changes to Darin, they may not show up for a day or two at <A HREF="http://www.nflug.org">http://www.nflug.org</A>.
You can preview them at <A HREF="http://www2.pcom.net/dje/">http://www2.pcom.net/dje/</A>.</li>

<li>
John Neff would like to hear from people interested in a textbook-based
Linux study group. John can be contacted at jjneff at praxair.com.</li>

<li>
Maximum Linux magazine ( <A HREF="http://www.maximumlinux.com/">http://www.maximumlinux.com/</A> ) is offering a FREE
copy of its new magazine to anyone who surfs up on their site. Thanks to
Robert Dege for brining this new magazine to our attention.</li>

<li>
Cirque du Soleil will perform a penguin opera at our May meeting. Blinky
Foobar will be twirled and hoisted aloft . . .</li>

<li>
The Brooklyn Bridge is once again for sale.</li>
</ul>

at <A HREF="http://grc.com/default.htm">http://grc.com/default.htm</A>. Go down to the "Shields UP!" banner and
and click on the "CLICK HERE!" link. Read the " FREE IP Agent" blurb. The
point is you need to know you real IP address to judge the quality of scan
results. Under linux typing (as user) /sbin/ifconfig&lt;Return> or (as
root) ifconfig&lt;Return> will give you the answer under ppp0 (assuming
that kind of connection) as inet addr (see blow). DO NOT use the P-t-P
address by mistake.
download Steve's IP Agent and use it to find out your real Internet address.
You can then click on the Test My Shields! button and afterwards&nbsp;
the Probe My Ports! button to see how really vulnerable you probably are.
Fortunately, there is a freely available (though beta still, I believe)
firewall you can install. First, read Steve's page on firewalls at <A HREF="http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htm">http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htm</A>.
to the above NOTE. Thanks