No subject

[Darth] Snowbeam linux at snowbeam.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 10 11:10:09 EDT 2000

> This is so true.  I just read an article that implied that MS's
> dominance was not due to its Windows desktop but due to the total
> control MS Office has in the workplace.  Until other software can
> (EASILY) transfer MS documents of any kind all MS has to do is keep
> office ONLY  for the MS Windows environment and most work places will
> have NO choice but to use Windows (hey that sounds like a judges
> decision in the case:-)

This is so true. For all those who have a job that requires clerical
skills, what is the one thing that keeps you with windows or has your job
forcing you to use windows ? It is the Office utilities within it. Look at
most jobs in the IT field today or should I say look at most jobs that
require a Resume, when it comes to computer skills, they primarily want to
see MS Office or some of the programs included in the suite.

Office Utilities for Linux are gradually getting there, but they have a
long way to go. Staroffice's word processor for example is closest to Word
95 in functionality, it claims to be able to open and save word 97
documents, but I am yet to see it successfully do that. all that is needed
now is time.

As for the Judge's decision, I doubt he'll affect the Office side of
things in a negative way. In fact think of of the worst thing he could
possibly do (from the Microsoft perspective). He could split the company
up, one way or another the Office department would only stand to gain from
a split. More focus on their one product, competition against nobody. In
fact the only real threat to Office products right now, is the up and
coming Office portals, that Sun, Corel and probably a few others are
coming up with. MS itself is now trying to create it's own Office portal
and I really want to see what happens then. The consumers are the only oes
who really stand to gain from this one :)

---------
- [Darth] Snowbeam

"It is not fear that keeps the elephant wary of the mouse, it is his
wisdom that reminds him not to underestimate his opponent" -me