Corel LINUX OS

[Darth] Snowbeam linux at snowbeam.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 9 22:22:03 EDT 2000

Dennis J. Eberl wrote:

> I have no idea of what you speak. What is Direct X? Where is the lawsuit
> issue? Microsoft has a much right as Corel and Applix to port their
> software to run under an open source version of Linux, and they have
> equal right to sell their own distribution provided they conform to the
> licensing restrictions.

James is actually quite right in his statement, chances of seeing Office
2000 or any of the older MS Office suites being ported over to Linux are
slim. Microsoft itself won't do it, because that is the core of their
business now. They don't get money from the Desktop market, but the Office
suite market is their main source of income and if unless they truly want
to kill their desktop hold, they dare not port Office to Linux.

As for other companies trying to port Office over to Linux, do you hear
"lawsuit" somewhere down the road ?

Microsoft will probably observe what happens with Corel Office 2000. They
will want to see if it succeeds on Linux, whether or not someone
decompiles it to see the source and other issues like that. I fit goes
smoothly, then only then will they consider creating a closed source
Office 2000 for Linux. That's just they way the MS life is.

---------
- [Darth] Snowbeam

"It is not fear that keeps the elephant wary of the mouse, it is his
wisdom that reminds him not to underestimate his opponent" -me