Corel LINUX OS

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Apr 9 08:45:34 EDT 2000

Porting Office 2000 from windows to linux. Aint going to happen. I
remember the talk about making a DirectX clone on linux. People where
threaten with lawsuits.

> But office suites, I think, will remain
> commercial simply because they work in an economic model
> that through competition ends up serving the end user better.
> I just don't see the open source community as having the
> kind of intelligence and focus needed by commercial project.

Excuse me!!!!! Focus yes. It's very hard to devote alot of time to open
source projects unless you work for a company that pays you to work on
open source software. As for intelligence. Well lets give a example.
Solaris vs linux on sun workstations. Solaris as we know is made by sun
and runs on sun workstations as well as the intel platform. Well it
completely sucks on the intel platforms so we are not even going to go
there. As for on sun workstations. Linux beats solaris hands down on sparc
workstations for stability and performance. That's just a fact. Its pretty
amazing a open source OS can beat a close source OS built for that
specific platform. As for office suites. If the office suite lacks a
feature they want then someone sooner or later is going to add that
feature they need. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against
commerical office suites. I just don't like the wrong attitude that
only the close source elite can make really good products. For those of
you who would like to try a open source office suite take a look at

http://koffice.kde.org/

"Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
James Simmons                                           ____/|
fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U