Sendmail vs Quail. The battle continues

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 13:54:25 EDT 2000

--- James A Simmons <jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Personal expereince. Well I can tell the difference between sendmail
> and
> qmail. I have used both. Sendmail was a PITA. I have tested for
> security
> expolits and did get root access. This is with sendmail a year ago. I
> have
> installed and used qmail. Qmail is much easier to use and easier to
> admin.
> Sendmail is good if you want your kitchen sink to be able to send
> email to
> your toliet. We also found qmail scales better then sendmail when we
> used
> it with a very active mail server.

Now this is more like it!

OK, now what does PITA mean?

You got a root access to a machine with sendmail.  How did you get in
and did you identify a fix for the problem?  Was it a configuration
error or an inherent problem in sendmail?

I want my kitchen sink to be able to send stuff to the toilet.  The
output channel on the toilet is a much bigger pipe and able to handle
more stuff.  The pipe on the sink is forever clogged with too much
output with too little capacity :-)

I can use a .forward on sendmail to handle redirection of email.  This
is documented in ANY unix book around.

As for the scaling issues, if you're talking about CIT, then I'd rather
not use that as an example because I have issues with the architecture
of that system.  If you want to discuss this offline, I'll let you know
my position.  Probably not an issue for public.

More directly to scalability issue, I'm not a fan of extremely large
scale consolidation of email.  The difference in performance of a
rationally sized system is relativly small.  If you're trying to build
a monolithic Email server for tens of thousands of users, then you have
a point.  When designing a system for that quantity of users, the cost
of the hardware grows at a geometric rate, rather than linearly in a
monolithic implementation.  If the system is distributed, the hardware
costs come down, the use of more common hardware is possible, enabling
easier and faster recovery from failure and a failure affects a much
smaller percentage of the population using the service.

Your turn :-)

Cheers!

=====
Bob Meyer