NFLUG Business: [Fwd: Please Update Your USA --> New York LUG List]

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Fri Apr 7 13:14:41 EDT 2000

Whoever posted us as an Ontario site please contact me immediately.

Canadians might and probably will -- and, IMHO, ought to -- resent it.

I contacted nearly all of the Ontario LUGs separately and made them aware
of our existence and desire for affiliation and open membership policy for anyone
within driving distance of Buffalo who lives in Ontario to join us.

I recently checked a map of Canada and removed all Ontario LUGs not
on or within a circle centered on Buffalo with a radius reaching Toronto.
That leaves only the Toronto group, the St. Catherine's LUGNUTs (whose
address isn't working), and H[amilton]LUG, with which I am attempting
to open a dialog. It may also leave the Scarborough group, which I have
removed but not deleted, if it is a suburb of Toronto. I couldn't find it on my
map.

This can be a sensitive issue for Canadians. By presuming to put our LUG under
the Ontario listing we look like a bunch of ignorant invading Yanks. This is not the

way to forge bonds of friendship and a cross boarder sense of Linux community.

Canada is not a "me too" extension of the United States. Anyone who has lived and
worked there for any length of time -- as I have -- knows that. It has a history and

unique culture of its own, a quite remarkable culture if you get far enough away
from the border and spend some tuning in. Therefore, I am  requesting immediate
removal from the Ontario list. I am doing this unilaterally. If you don't like it,
I am sure you will let me know.

I would hope in the future such actions would be proposed to the group before
being acted on.

Respectfully,

Dennis Eberl