Netscape 6 contd...

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 09:51:19 EDT 2000

--- Micah Valine <mvaline at buffnet.net> wrote:
> "[Darth] Snowbeam" wrote:
> >
> > First things first. It is about 10MB in size. It has Aim...oh my
> lord.
> > That should ideally force an uninstall, but let me give it a
> chance. If I
> > see the words AOL Linux or MS Linux anywhere, it's gone
> permanently. I
> > can't really see to many changes since M13/14. Well it is a pre
> prelease
> > and to be honest the only change I see is the logo, from Mozilla to
> > Netscape. Anyone else notice anything new ?
> >

> I must confess to never having installed any software that wasn't put
> into an RPM or Debian package. I downloaded the tar.gz file from
> Netscape. What do I have to do to install it?

The way to do the netscape install is to first make a directory to
extract the files into.  Netscape tarballs typically are not created
with a subdirectory.  'cd' into the directory and type 'tar xvfz
[tarball file name]'.  You will get a bunch of files, one of which will
be a readme.  There are instructions there for doing the install.  The
problem that you will have is that if you already have a version of
netscape installed from an RPM, you will have a conflict and confusion
about which version is being used.  I would remove whatever package
installed netscape on your machine before completing the install.

> I have been waiting for a Linux version of AIM for quite some time.
> Everyone I know at school uses it and if I want to talk to them, I
> have
> to boot into NT. It is one of the last vestiges of Microsoft's
> control
> of my computing life...  except for work, of course.
There is a version of AIM available on the net from 'www.marko.net'.
It's called 'gaim' and it works pretty well.  It handles all of the
basic functionality of AIM without the advertisements.  They have an
'rpm' to make it easier to install :-)

Cheers!

=====
Bob Meyer