Netscape 6 contd...

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Thu Apr 6 08:28:52 EDT 2000

Joseph Hoot wrote:

> talk about a piece of junk... I don't think I've seen a stable release of
> Mozilla yet!  And the interface is horrible, in my opinion.  I like things
> simple with maybe some colorful icons... although I'm still using it, I
> think it sucks compared to the STABLE netscape 4.72.

<--------------- snip --------------->

Joe,

Were do I look to see what version of Netscape I am using. I know it
is at least 4.7 but am not sure it is 4.72. If I am not using 4.72, do I get
it from the Netscape site? Problems like this are precisely what keeps
Linux from taking over the desktop.

Here's a game plan for Microsoft. Follow Corel's lead by "developing"
(I used the term advisedly) their own open source Linux distribution,
which they can of course sell for the outrageous prices everyone else
is charging for this FREE software and also port MS Office 2000 to
their flavor of Linux. Thus, Corel loses big time, Microsoft keeps its
grip on the desktop (no problems with compatible import/export) and
everyone -- except the Microsoft haters -- will be happy (sort of ; ).

This may not be as far fetched as it sounds. I haven't bought any upgrades
for my original, cheap, OEM version of Windows NT 4.0 Sp1. All I've
had to do is download free Service Packs and upgrades of things like
Internet Explorer. Even after years of owning Macintoshes (started
in 1985 with the 512K "Fat" Mac), which has forced me to buy Mac
OS upgrades, never have I paid so much for an operating system as
I have since getting into Linux. This hasn't particularly bothered
me -- and, anyone reading this and so inclined, please spare me your
dissertation on how "free" means open source; for you have missed
the point -- but it is an irony many have missed.

Dennis