NFLUG Mailing List Issues

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Wed Apr 5 20:05:13 EDT 2000

jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

> > I am confused by the above.  Why does the membership list (by this I mean
> > people who actively attend meetings and want to be called) have to be in sync
> > with people on the mailing list.  I join a bunch of mailing lists just to ask
> > questions and offer ideas and have nothing to do with a physical group...
>
> The people we are talking about end up with people wanting to join the
> maling list. They should be joining using majorodmo. Unfortunely there is
> nothing on the web pages on how to exactly join using majordomo or a web
> interface that does it for you. Instead the email address end up in dennis
> hands which then has to go to Darin to have them added to the mailing
> list.

James,

I've got to speak up here after going around circles about this to no end for a
couple of days.

1.) No, people should not be joining NFLUG by using majordomo. They should
be using a fairly detailed membership form.

2) If you know how to configure a membership form to work with majordomo
to satisfy the maintenance of two list, membership and mailing, get with Darin
and implement it! I would love it. It's a pain in the ass to me to have to do it
the way we are doing it.

3) If you don't know how to do it or Darin doesn't want to do it, shut up about
it. What we have now works. I am tired of going in circles on this. Shit or get
off the pot.

Dennis