structured time -- Loki's Civilization and Corel LINUX

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Wed Apr 5 03:47:22 EDT 2000

James Simmons wrote:

> > Incidentally, I got something called "Civilization: Call to Power" by Loki with
> > the Corel distribution. Is that of any interest to anyone?
>
> My favorite game :) Please I can't look at it until after exams.

James,

This'll make you feel better. It's crippleware. No LAN/WAN action. Only one
player. The CDROM has a version for Linux and I think one for Windows too.

I shoveled a PlexWriter burner into my SCSI box with the DAT drive and finally
managed to get DOS, Windows NT 4.0 Sp6, and Corel LINUX installed. The
Corel install was a stone bitch: it took be two tries over a period of two days.
I'll
have to try it on another box. I heard it was easy to install. Also, I don't like
their
half-assed Windows-like rewrite of KDE. People make fun of RedHat GUI,
but Corel's first shot looks worse . . . , really "sanitized" in the worst sense of
the word.

Still, others like it and swear by it. Ron is happy with his install and
Pete thinks the ease with which it lets you set up a Samba server is
the greatest things since . . . well, Windows NT Server. I'll have to mosey on
over to Rosewell and let him show me the good points.

I can't write an objective  review without putting some distance between
me and my minor nightmare. I'll just have to try it on another box. I'll talk
to Corel. Could be I got a bad installation CD.

Later,

Dennis