[nflug] Samba Questions

Eric Benoit eric at bootz.us
Wed Sep 24 09:36:47 EDT 2008

Are you using ldap? here's my AD type samba, of course there's a bunch
of other settings
I have a very simple setup that I am still working on, but it works.

also what do your log files say when a user creates a file in a shared
folder or trys to or trys to access??

[global]
#  WORKGRP/NETBIOS
workgroup = LDAPUBUNTU
#netbios name = LDAPUBUNTU
server string = ldapubuntu

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
wins support = no

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

#### Debugging/Accounting ####

# This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Cap the size of the individual log files (in KiB).
   max log size = 1000

# If you want Samba to only log through syslog then set the following
# parameter to 'yes'.
syslog only = yes

# We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything
# should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smbd,nmbd} instead. If you want to log
# through syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.
   syslog = 5

# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace

####### Authentication #######

# You may wish to use password encryption.  See the section on
# 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
   encrypt passwords = true

security = user
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
obey pam restrictions = no

#
#    Begin: Custom LDAP Entries
#
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=ldapubuntu,dc=hufsd
ldap suffix = dc=ldapubuntu, dc=hufsd
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap user suffix = ou=Users
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
; Do ldap passwd sync
ldap passwd sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*all*authentication*tokens*updated*
add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
ldap delete dn = Yes
delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
 domain logons = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 os level = 255
#
#    End: Custom LDAP Entries
#

########## Domains ###########

# The following setting only takes effect if 'domain logons' is set
# It specifies the location of a user's home directory (from the client
# point of view)
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\pdc-ubuntu\%U

[staff]