[nflug] bash syntax problem - picture printing problems

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Nov 8 17:11:41 EST 2008

My partner has a digital camera and she's been taking a large number of
pictures of wild animals, etc. The pictures look great on the camera
screen and on my notebook screen. Most were taken at the second best
resolution - 1536x 2048. I used Picasa (under Linux) to export an
"album" of them to a CDROM (I made sure to set jpeg quality to maximum
during the export) and took it to the drugstore photo lab. When we got
the normal-sized prints (I think they're about 4 x 5") back, they all
looked grainy - almost pixelated. Is that res too low for even for that
size print?

I talked to the photo tech who is pretty sharp and he said something
about their computer messing with the images because the originals were
not the same size (aspect ratio?) as the prints. He also said that
regular film images were equivalent to up to 20 or more megapixels.

As a precaution, I have switched the camera to use its max resolution of
3072 x 2304. That really eats up memory cards fast. Is it really
necessary if most of what i want is just prints and I don't do a lot of
cropping or other editing? The only editing I've done so far was to
rotate some 90 degrees when the shot was taken with the camera in
"portrait" orientation.

But, I still have several thousand pictures, many of which I want to
print, or perhaps even sell that seem to print grainy. These cannot
easily be recreated. Some are of fauns as they grew up over the summer
or as they were leaping in mid-air. Some are close-ups from a few feet away.

Any thoughts on how to debug/fix this and get it right from now on would
be greatly appreciated.
I'd RTFM if I knew which ones.

BTW, I still don't know why my script (the original question) didn't
work as originally written.

TIA

Joe