[nflug] eth0 on debian configured sd card

Eric Benoit eric at bootz.us
Tue Nov 4 10:18:38 EST 2008

Greetings, I configured an sd card to run debian to that I could image
drives and retrieve images for some eeePC900 laptops.

I am doing this over the network to my computers hard drive space.

The first laptop I re-imaged worked fine over the network, which was
also the laptop I installed debian on the sd card.

when I boot from the sd card for the other laptops the network eth0 does
not come up I checked /etc/network/interfaces and the configuration has
not changed... do I need to specify a different mac address somewhere to
let linux know about the device... because all these laptops are the
same the network device/hardware is the same except the mac address
...which is the only reason I think of why the eth0 device will not work
...and of course pinging does no good... "Network is unreachable"  I've
tried ifup eth0 ...error while getting interface flags: no such device

the network device does work though when I boot with the original xandros OS