[nflug] speed imaging netcat

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:04:31 EST 2008

Run it uncompressed first and then compress it after you have acquired the
image - if you so desire.

In general, imaging is slow.  Maximum you will get about 4GB/s with hardware
dedicated for the task.  That's drive to drive using a SATA connection.
Real world numbers are about 5 hours to image a 500GB drive.

Over a network, it's going to take a much longer time.  First, as I said
before - don't do compression on the fly - do it post capture if you want.
Second, what is your network speed?  Are you at 100 or 1000 Mb/s?  Third,
what is your capture device?  A single drive, a raid array, something else?
How fast is the capture device?  Fourth, check your system logs.  Is your
device giving any errors?  How about your network interface - is that giving
errors?

 Brad