[nflug] speed imaging netcat

Eric Benoit eric at bootz.us
Mon Nov 3 12:43:42 EST 2008

*I'm trying to image a ssd drive across the network to my hard drive, I
used the directions below and everything is working fine, however it is
slow as time next to a blackhole ;)

does anyone know a way I could speed things up a bit or byte?

based on the following instructions:
*

This method uses dd and nc provided by the Debian Installer and another
computer located on your local network:

    * First, boot the debian installer on your USB disk
    * Then be sure to activate network and configure it, same thing for
      the disk (Do not partition it)
    * Open a console shell (Alt+F2 or from the Debian Installer menu)
    * On the backup computer:
          o get its IP adress (ifconfig)
          o start a listening nc session on port 9000:

 nc -l -p 9000 | gzip -1 -c > ./eeepc.img.gz

    * With netcat-openbsd installed this line should read

 nc -l 9000 | gzip -1 -c > ./eeepc.img.gz

    * On the EeePC shell:

dd if=/dev/sda | nc -w 5 computer_ip_adress 9000

Wait some minutes (about 35)... and you get a eeepc.img.gz with about 900Mb

from the website:
*
http://tinyurl.com/5hozkf

Thank you,