[nflug] Automated Email Processing - Retrieve Emails and save along with attachements on Samba share

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Thu May 15 10:40:01 EDT 2008

I would do this by configuring fetchmail to send all of your AOL
messages to a local alias set up in your MTA.  The alias should be
configured to pipe all the messages into a perl script (or scripting
language of your choice).

In sendmail, you would add a line to /etc/aliases like
"archiver: "|/usr/local/bin/archiver", and then run newaliases and
restart sendmail.

Then set up your script to do whatever it needs to to the
message...either save it as a text file, which is easy, or write a PDF,
which is harder (latex intermediary?).

I'm assuming this printout system is to satisfy some sort of legal
requirement.  If this is the case, make sure that everything is
documented in layman's terms, and depending on the severity of the
issue, get an independent person to sign off on the configuration and
write up an affidavit that effect. (IANAL applies)

Cheers,
Erek