[nflug] any hints?

Eric Benoit eric at bootz.us
Fri May 2 13:48:33 EDT 2008

Darin Perusich wrote:
> You need to explain what you're trying accomplish, your question
> doesn't provide enough information. Why is samba communicating
> directly with ldap instead of using pam?
>
> Only under certain conditions should you send passwords uncrypted to
> an ldap server, I'm sure others will argue otherwise but there are
> reasons for doing so.
>
> Eric Benoit wrote:
>> should I use clear text password when communicating between openldap
>> and samba... yikes? they are going to be on the same system

I followed a simple setup for ubuntu to run samba and openldap which I
then enabled roaming users from winXP machines... it works great.

now I'm trying to implement this same system on a debian etch system
only now I want more security, where the ubuntu setup had none

The Debian server will act like an Active Directory and contain all the
file/print/roaming user info and shares locally.

I apologies for keeping it short, but I just need vague direction...   :)