[nflug] Grub Error 18

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Mar 30 11:48:45 EDT 2008

How do you boot without using parallels then? I personally would install
grub into the mbr and use that, i.e. boot with a linux cd then from  a
grub shell,
grub> root = (hd0,2)
grub> setup = (hd0)
This being that the boot partition itself resides on the 3rd partition
of the first drive.
But if you wish to use parallels, they probably have an option as does
grub to "trick" the os in question to think it's booting from the first
drive. For instance, windows can boot from ANY partition on ANY drive in
the system as long as 2 rules apply, 1. the boot flag MUST reside on the
partition where windows is installed and 2. windows itself MUST think
it's on the first hard drive in the system. #2 can be accomplished in
grub easily even though windows may be on the 2nd, 3rd, etc., drive with
the following in it's boot stanza
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
Where hd1 is the drive windows is on, i.e., hd2, etc. It looks rather
mundane but it works like a champ. Look for options like that in
parallels or try the install of grub in the mbr.