[nflug] Repartitioning questions

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Mar 8 15:24:15 EST 2008

Currently, I have Windows, kubuntu dapper, and kubuntu gutsy on my notebook.
I'm ready to get rid of dapper.

My 100GB disk partitions are (as reported by gparted):

                             GIB
sda1  NTFS         39.06   Windows
sda2  ext3           29.78   Dapper
sda4  ext3           38.4     Gutsy
sda3  extended  4.55
    sda6  swap     1.69      Gutsy
    sda5  swap     2.86      Dapper

What I want to do is delete sda2 and sda5 and put all the freed space
into sda4 (hopefully without resizing/moving anything twice so it
doesn't take forever).

I booted gparted from a CDROM and tried to do this (*without actually
committing any changes*).

It let me delete the two partitions (sda2 , sda5) and shrink sda3, but I
couldn't seem to get it to move sda3 over to the end of the disk where
sda5 had been so I could give sda5's free space to sda4.

When it showed me what it was going to do, sda6 was now called sda5.
Since my fstab in gutsy refers to sda6, that got me to stop and ask
questions.

* How do I get this to work?

* I need gutsy to boot as normal when I'm done repartitioning. So, what
do I do to make sure it can still find it's swap partition?

* Gutsy apparently has a smaller swap partition than dapper. Should I
make it any bigger?

TIA

Joe